This article is a step-by-step guide on how to create Pinterest Story Pins using GIMP for your small business.
A Story Pin is a collection of Pins that tells a story. It allows you to put together information or share ideas with many (up to 20) images, videos and text.
Also, you can save Story Pins to your boards and also add comments.
However, a major difference between a Story Pin and other Pins is that, when saving a Story Pin you save the whole story rather than individual Pins.
Therefore, you can’t save an individual page within a Story Pin.
Pinterest recently launched Story Pins, so they are a work in progress.
You may not yet have access to it, depending on your location. However, you can use Pinterest from anywhere in the world.
Pinterest story pins requirements
Pinterest recommends that:
- Portrait images are a minimum of 900 x 1600 pixel size.
- Story Pins have a minimum of 2 pages but can have up to 20 images.
- Most Pinterest image formats are vertical.
- For the cover, we’ll use a vertical image with aspect ratio 9:16.
- In addition, for the other pages, we’ll use 2:3 aspect as it is recommended for all Pins.
- Your Story Pin title must have a minimum of 1 character and maximum of 42 characters
- The max file size is 16mb and file type can be any of: BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, WEBP, .mov and mp4.
In this tutorial, we’ll go through the steps to create a Pinterest Story Pin cover page using Gimp.
Step 1: Download GIMP for creating Pinterest story pins
GIMP is a open software which means that it is available freely. It is available for Windows, OSX and Linus.
You can download directly or faster using the trusted mirror BitTorrent. Download and follow the installation instructions.
Some people find GIMP cumbersome compared to using the free online drag and drop like Canva.com.
However, if you are mindful of working for long online, it is a very great option for working offline.
Step 2: Create outline for Pinterest story pins
Create an outline of your story. Remember a Pinterest Story Pin can be used to show steps for a DIY project or recipe.
In addition, you can use a Story Pin to curate a collection of your small business products or services.
You can also use a Story Pin to create a step-by-step guide.
In this tutorial, we’ll be creating a Story Pin cover page to curate vegan inspired quotes by plant-based diet doctors.
Step 3: Get images to create Pinterest story pins
Carefully select images that reflect the story you are telling.
There are different sources online, where you can get images for your Pinterest story pins.
Shutterstock has high quality copyright images.
You can also get free for commercial images and videos from sites such as: Pexels, Pixaby and Unsplash.
Step 4: Create Pinterest story pins cover pages on GIMP
Create Pinterest story pins – create template.
When you create a template, you create the first layer.
The first thing you need to do in order to create a template is to go to:
- File – New – Create New Image.
- Set the Image Size to Width: 900 and Height: 1600 pixels.
- Next, you’ll see a small plus sign – Advanced options.
- Go to Fill with and select the appropriate option.
- In this case, select background. This will fill the template with the the colour.
- When you first download Gimp, the active background color will be white.
- To change the background to black or any other color, click on the white background square showing the active background color.
- Then, change the white color to any color you want in the small color box. Since we are making a front page with a black background we’ll select black and click OK.
- Finally, click Edit and Fill with BG color.
- The first layer has been completed.
Create Pinterest story pins – set the Aspect ratio
To set the fixed aspect ratio, click on the Rectangle Select tool from the tools section. This will open the Rectangle Select window. Change the aspect ratio to 9:16.
Add image to template to create Pinterest story pins
- Adding an image to the template creates the second layer. There are two ways to add image on Gimp.
- Firstly, you open an image using File and Open. Next, Select the folder where you downloaded the image for your cover page and click Open.
- Secondly, a faster method is to drag and drop the image directly from its folder on to the template.
- If your picture is bigger than the template, you’ll need to scale it to fit the template.
- Next go to Tools –Transform Tools – Scale.
- Drag an edge until the image fits into the template.
Add text to template to create Pinterest story pins
The Text Tool is used to create or edit text layers.
- Therefore, in order to add text, click on the capital A in the tool box.
- This will open the small text box you’ll use to select text font, size, change color etc.
- You can create as many text layers as you desire or according to your text.
- For example, in this cover Pin, QUOTES, BY, PLANT-BASED are three text layers.
- After making necessary edits, export image.
- To do this click on File – Export As. Export As allows you to export your image as either a PNG or a JPEG but Save As or Save will give you a .XCF extension.
- Repeat the process and export the same way for the other pages of your Story Pin.
Upload Story Pins on Pinterest
- On Pinterest, select the plus sign to upload the cover image and add the title. To add more pages swipe right. For each page you can add text and title.
- When you are done click publish.
Please, take note that Pinterest is still developing Story Pin. If it is not available to you at this time.
Hope this gives you a heads up for making a Pinterest Story Pin.